Jesus Says

"...If God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you." John 12:28 NLT
Let us get up early and go to the vineyards to see if the grapevines have budded, if the blossoms have opened, and if the pomegranates have bloomed. There I will give you my love. Songs of Songs 6:12 NLT

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Gardening

I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes so that it will be ever more fruitful.               John 15:1-2

A few years ago my husband, Michael C., had a heart attack and was told by his doctor he needed to take up a hobby as a stress reliever.  Michael C. is very good with his hands and enjoys woodworking and drawing to a certain extent.  I began to pray about this asking the Lord to provide him with a stress relieving hobby he would enjoy.  Naturally, I assumed it would involve woodworking or drawing, or at least something along those lines.  Boy, was I wrong.  I have learned to never assume where God is concerned.

To my great surprise, and I have to say it was indeed a great surprise, my prayer was answered with one word: gardening.  Michael C. has NEVER enjoyed working in the yard.  He hates to cut the grass and he never cared one whit about a shrub or flower.  Now, however, nothing gives him greater pleasure than working in the garden he built in the backyard.

Michael C. didn't just plant a garden.  He built a raised bed and grows herbs, vegetables, and flowers in the garden.  He trims shrubs and dead-heads petunias.  Each day when he gets home from work the first thing he does is check on his garden to see "how does his garden grow."

I really don't know why I think it odd that God would answer my prayer in such a way.  After all, He is the Master Gardener.  He planted a garden in Eden for the first man and woman He created and Jesus even refers to us, His children, as God's garden.  God prunes us and trims us and dead-heads us when we need it.  Like a petunia the most beautiful flowers form in us when God removes the dead buds to make way for new blooms to flower.

So...to God be the Glory!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment